When UNC students pick upthe September issue of Glamour Magazine some might see a familiar face.

Senior Danielle Maria Allen was named one of the Top 10 College Women by the magazine.She was recognized for her success in academics and her extensive public service work.

This week Allen and the other honorees will be traveling to New York City to meet with the Glamour editor in chief and tour the United Nations.

They'll get manicures and pedicures too.

Allen discovered her love of public service after she was diagnosed with a severe case of scoliosis before high school" she said.

""I couldn't play sports" and that's hard for a high school freshman to not be able to do sports and otherthings to fit in and make friends" said Allen.

So she ran for class president.

At the age of 17, Allen was presented with the key to Monroe, N.C., the city she grew up in.

I did a lot of public service work; I had received scholarships and the Morehead" and I was coming to Carolina sort of creating a legacy Allen said.

Early on" the mayor recognized that I was going to do something positive in the future and he didn't want me to forget about them.""

Ever since appearing in Glamour"" Allen can't go home without being recognized. She said she has attained a sort of celebrity status.

""People in my community may not necessarily understand what I'm doing" but they know that I'm doing something positive" Allen said. Because of that I have a community at home - a system of unconditional support.""

Although she grew up in a high-crime area and attended a high school with a low performance rate"" Danielle had the support of her family to inspire her to succeed.

""I've always been surrounded by really strong women and that more than anything has become a defining part of my success"" said Allen, who lived with her mother and grandmother. I always have someone to turn to for advice and wisdom for things that I don't understand.""

When Allen came to Carolina she began working with the Campus Y and was selected as one of two Freshman Members at Large"" a position that allows two first-year representatives to sit on the executive board and have input about the projects of the Campus Y.

""When I first met Danielle" I noticed that she was quiet but a keen observer and that when she had something to say it was well worth listening to Campus Y Director Virginia Carson said. I think that she often observes first and talks later" and more of us should try that pattern.""

Senior Emily Nix" Allen's roommate" met her while working at the Campus Y.

""It doesn't matter what you look like; it doesn't matter where you come from. We can find greatness anywhere"" Nix said. I think it's important to have concrete people to demonstrate that.""

After graduation"" Allen plans to take some time off to travel or to take part in the Teach for America program.

""I'm not sure exactly what my ultimate contribution will be. I just want to gather as much experience as possible"" Allen said. And I don't want to focus my attention to just one thing.""

Her drive for philanthropy won't slow anytime soon.

""I'm happiest when I'm helping other people. I'm truly happiest when I can help someone"" Allen said. I've also found that amazing things happen to you when you don't always think about yourself first.""

Contact the Features Editor at features@unc.edu.