Choose your study spots wisely

Chapel Hill offers plenty of options

Your first few weeks at Chapel Hill are bound to be fun. But sooner or later, your workload will start to kick in. And you’re not getting out of UNC without studying. 

There are plenty of places to do it. Most residence halls offer study lounges with wireless Internet access through the UNC-1 network. 

Dorm rooms, while they do not have wireless Internet, have Ethernet outlets. If you ordered a computer through CCI, you might have received the Ethernet cord with your laptop.

If you’re the type of person who needs to get out of your room to study, one of the first places students turn is the Student Union, which has several study lounges on its three floors. 

The lounge and computer lab on the first floor are particularly good spots. 

And if you get hungry, Alpine Bagel is located near the entrance of the Student Union. It’s open from 7:30 a.m to 1 a.m. Monday through Thursday, 7:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. Friday,  9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday, and 11 a.m. to 1 a.m. Sunday.

Davis Library, right next door to the Student Union, is another popular study spot and is open until midnight on weekdays and until 8 p.m. on weekends.

“It’s usually quiet and there aren’t many people around,” first-year Krishna Kollo said of Davis.

Davis has eight floors, each with designated study areas. There is a computer lab on the first floor.

A short walk away from Davis is the Undergraduate Library — or the UL — which works for heavier study sessions, since it’s open 24 hours Monday through Thursday. If you’re working with a group, the library provides rooms you can reserve.

Davis and the UL can get crowded, especially during exams. Wilson Library, located near the Lower Quad, is another option, open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, and 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday. 

UNC’s campus boasts several outdoor studying spots, such as the Coker Arboretum, which is open until dusk. On sunny days, many students lie on the grass or sit on benches in Polk and McCorkle places, or outside their residence halls.

All of these locations are on North Campus. But maybe you’re living on South Campus and you’re trying to minimize your walking time. In that case, the new Student and Academic Services Buildings, near Morrison Residence Hall, is a popular destination. They have a large computer lab and are also open 24 hours.

Students looking to get farther away from it all can visit businesses on Franklin Street and in downtown Chapel Hill. 

Many businesses downtown offer quiet spaces where students can study and perhaps take a break for coffee or a snack. Most of them offer free Wi-Fi as well.

“Starbucks is always good,” said junior Marnie Bryson, who also enjoys going to the Franklin Street bakery Sugarland to study.

To get to downtown Chapel Hill, you can walk. But if you’re pressed for time, the U and NU bus routes will take you to Franklin Street.

If you want to go even farther, Carrboro’s Weaver Street Market is popular with students and Carrboro residents alike. It’s open from 7:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. You can get there on weekdays on the J or CW bus routes, or -— if you’re so inclined — by walking. Just be sure to budget time to get back.

Ultimately, the choice of study spot is up to you. It’s not about the location, after all. It’s about what you do once you’re there.

Contact the City Editor at citydesk@unc.edu.