CAA candidates outline proposed ticket policy changes

Both have experience with the organization

Students might never have to receive a phase five ticket to the nosebleed section of the Smith Center again after this season.

On Feb. 9, the student body will elect the next Carolina Athletic Association president, who represents students’ interests to UNC’s athletic department.

“The CAA president is the voice of the students to the athletic department,” said John Russell, the current CAA president.

While the CAA president oversees the planning of Homecoming week and other activities, the task of crafting the men’s basketball ticket policy has been an issue for candidates.

After a season marked by low attendance and a new phase system that distributes one ticket to students instead of two, the candidates’ proposals to rework the policy created under Russell’s presidency might be the determining factor in this year’s election.

Two CAA veterans — Brandon Finch and Tom Kuell — are running for president. Both said they wish to change the policy. But they have different approaches.

The current system distributes about 6,000 tickets individually.

Russell said the CAA president meets with athletic department members and other student leaders to determine the ticket policy.

“It’s a collective decision by all parties. It’s not one person making the decision,” he said. “The CAA president does have a good bit of influence.”

Associate Athletic Director Clint Gwaltney said the athletic department strongly considers the CAA president’s proposals.

“(The president) is an elected official of the student body,” he said. “Their voice is very well-heard.”

Brandon Finch

Finch, who currently serves as the CAA secretary, has participated in the group for three years.

“I’ve gone way beyond the role of a traditional secretary,” Finch said. “There are six different committees, and I’ve taken a part in and been there to assist each. I’ve done everything I can to be a part of this organization.”

Finch wants to eliminate the phase system and have general admission for most nonconference games. He plans to create a student task force to gather student feedback through surveys and forums when rewriting the ticket policy.

“I don’t think it should be dealt with behind closed doors,” he said. “I want to get as much student opinion as possible as we revamp and move away from the old policy.”

Tom Kuell

Kuell, the current CAA vice president, has also served in the group for three years. He said he has the necessary experience for the job.

“I work with John (Russell), for John — I live with the guy. I know the responsibilities of being the CAA president,” he said. “There’s not that learning curve.”

Kuell will have students vote to either keep the one-ticket policy or return to the two-ticket plan.

Kuell also wants to implement an online group ticketing system, in which students can create groups of up to about 25 people. The lottery would still distribute tickets individually, but the system would ensure that everyone in the group receives the same phase.

“The group ticketing solves the problem of never getting a ticket, which was a problem with the two-ticket policy, and it solves the problem of never getting to sit with friends, which was a problem with the one-ticket policy,” Kuell said.