William Friday has 90th birthday

Friday celebrated for service, dedication

Former UNC system president William Friday and his wife Ida greet visitors at his 90th birthday celebration Tuesday. The event, which was held in the Carolina Club at the Hill Alumni Center, was open to the public. Friday served as the UNC system president for 30 years.

Not many people celebrate their 90th birthday on a college campus.

But not many people are like William Friday — the man who devoted one-third of his life to serving as president of the UNC system.

The UNC General Alumni Association (GAA) hosted a celebration Tuesday for Friday, the former system president and higher education advocate.

Hundreds stood in line at the Carolina Club to speak with Friday, who is credited with incorporating many of the programs and ideals that make the system what it is today.

The GAA presented Friday with a cake in the shape of North Carolina with one candle placed in Chapel Hill’s respective location.

“Chancellor (Holden) Thorp and I discussed it, and we thought it would be a great way to celebrate President Friday’s 90th and welcome him back to campus,” GAA President Douglas Dibbert said.

“We are excited … to be celebrating President Friday’s service to UNC and the state of North Carolina.”

An accidental journey

“Ida and I have been here in Chapel Hill since February of 1946, and never have we been so overwhelmed,” Friday said. “This is really a celebration of what each of you has done during these many years to help the University.”

Friday became involved with the University, he says, thanks to his wife.

“I took a temporary job and it lasted for all this time, and I did that because Mrs. Friday had a fellowship at the school of public health,” Friday said.

“That decision lasted a lifetime. It was almost an accident.”

That temporary job as assistant dean of students led Friday to become the assistant to former consolidated UNC-system President Gordon Gray in 1951.

Four years later, Friday was appointed secretary of UNC, and the year after that he was appointed president of the UNC system. He did not retire until 1986.

Friday was born in Raphine, Va., in 1920 and was raised in Dallas, N.C., growing up during the Great Depression.

“I was 12 years old in the depths of the Depression, and I mean the real Depression, and I have a sensitivity that’s deep, that when I see suffering, I experienced some of that myself,” Friday said.

Living through that poverty is what inspired Friday to get involved as the first chairman of North Carolina’s Commission on Poverty, working alongside Gov. James Martin.

“(Poverty) is something we can do something about,” Friday said. “It’s not a glamorous issue, and it doesn’t make the headlines all the time. But let me tell you, it is absolutely critical to the well-being of the state itself.”

Friday started his Tar Heel journey at UNC’s School of Law, where he met John Jordan in his first class.

“You have to go back to 1945 for me and Bill,” said Jordan, who couldn’t make it to the party. “He sat next to me in a criminal law class on the first day of school and said, ‘Hello, my name is Bill Friday,’ and we have been friends since then.”

During the 65 years since they met, Jordan and Friday have not gone one week without talking.

Creative adventures

Students at UNC might not know the story behind the name, but many programs carry his legacy, such as the William and Ida Friday Center for Continuing Education.

“From the time he started work on the center he called it the ‘citizen’s classroom.’ That has really encompassed our entire purpose,” said Friday Center Director Norman Loewenthal. “He has provided a source of inspiration for the center since the beginning.”

Friday’s influence has also reached past UNC-CH’s campus.

The William and Ida Friday Institute for Educational Innovation, which strives to improve education through the use of technology, located at N.C. State University, is named in honor of the Fridays as well.

“We do everything we can to maintain their great spirit for advancing education,” Institute Executive Director Glenn Kleiman said. “It has been great to work with him and benefit from his kind advice.”

Friday and his wife have also been active members on the board for the UNC Eating Disorders Program. The program’s founder, Rita Robbins, called the Fridays a “huge part” of the program.

Friday also worked closely with UNC-TV and still hosts his own show, “North Carolina People.”

Those who have worked with Friday say that he has a talent for making people feel at ease.

“I remember we were interviewing the teacher of the year this one year, and she kept locking up when she was being filmed,” former film director William Nichols said.

“Bill had the idea to shut everything off and make it look like we weren’t filming, when we were actually filming, and she opened up completely.”

Friday — widely considered a monumental part of UNC’s history — is still fascinated with the school.

“It’s just been a wonderful journey,” Friday said. “The great thing about being a part of the University is that you get to witness so many creative and constructive adventures.”

Senior writer Rebecca Putterman contributed reporting.