New jobs created to improve student achievement

Locals schools will merge job responsibilities by creating two new positions for the upcoming school year which aim to improve student achievement from kindergarten to 12th grade.

The Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools Board of Education approved the jobs in a 6-1 vote in a special session Wednesday held in light of the recent resignation the of elementary education director.

One of the new positions, the Executive Director for School Leadership, aims to better support principals at the elementary, middle and high school levels and focus on improving student performance.

The Director of Professional Development will merge the director for elementary education with the responsibility of overseeing that all district school employees improve their work.

Previously, Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools had separate directors for the elementary, middle and high school levels.

“To look for one person to have a level of expertise in all three levels seems a stretch for me,” Board member Annetta Streater said.

“I have concerns there will be gaps in work plans and existing projects,” she said in an interview.

Streater was the singular vote against the recommendation.

With only two months remaining before the next school year and with both positions requiring training, Assistant Superintendent for Instructional Services Denise Bowling said the board needs to have a good understanding of what comes with the two leadership positions.

“I will be listening for someone who can bridge that — whether they have had experience at the elementary, middle or high school level.”

However, Board Member Michelle Brownstein said she is glad jobs are being combined and hopes that the board will be able to find someone who has experience at all three levels.

The new jobs are a result of reorganization within the Instructional Services Division.

The board will begin its job search within the next few weeks.