Bowman Gray Memorial Indoor Pool open to students after more than a year of renovations

After an extensive renovation that included re-grouting and the finishing of two locker rooms, an on-campus swimming facility is now open to students.

The Bowman Gray Memorial Indoor Pool reopened Oct. 6 after more than a year of construction to make it compliant with fire safety and disability regulations.

Located next to Woolen Gymnasium, the facility is used for recreational swimming, lifetime fitness classes and as a practice space for several club sports teams. It has been under construction since the fall of 2009.

“Underclassmen have never even seen the pool,” said Aquatics Director Deb Murray.

Murray said she had hoped to open the pool at the beginning of September, but more time was needed for extra tasks.

“It was just the hardest thing to create a date,” she said. “There was just so much work that needed to be done.”

Murray said the pool had to be renovated because it was not compliant with the fire code or the Americans with Disabilities Act.

“It’s a very old pool, and Woolen Gymnasium’s a very old gymnasium, so it did not meet regulations,” she said. “We had to add a sprinkler system and a lift for people with disabilities to be able to get down to the pool from the main level balcony.”

She said Bowman Gray was originally constructed in the 1930s.

Sara Weber, president of the club swimming team, said she and her teammates did not know when the pool was going to reopen.

“The date for the opening changed so many times, I didn’t really have an expectation,” Weber said. “At some point last year they were saying it wouldn’t open this whole semester, so we’re actually happy about this.”

She said her team struggled last year when renovations on Bowman Gray forced them to have shorter practices because other teams had to share a space.

Renovations at Koury Natatorium, where the varsity team swims, also meant the team had to have off-campus practices.

Due to renovations at both Koury and Bowman Gray, the club swimming team also had to cancel its usual spring home meet.

Murray said she’s received a positive response from pool users.

“A lot of people have come by, the patrons that are our usual patrons are thrilled,” she said.

Junior John Mace said he swam at the pool during his freshman year and is pleased to have it back.

“It’s a really convenient way to come and get exercise real quick,” he said.

But Mace said he was frustrated by the long wait and not knowing when the pool would be ready.

“I was blown away by how long it took,” he said. “I honestly can’t tell the difference.”