Chapel Hill's TerraVITA event to raise money, educate locals

Michael Klinger, manager of Chapel Hill Wine Company, is responsible for the more than 1,200 bottles of wine in his store. He sells wines from areas including South Africa, Australia, France and North Carolina.

Todd Wielar opened a wine store because he loves to drink.

Owner and founder of Chapel Hill Wine Company, Wielar started out working in fine dining restaurants in Richmond, Va., but decided instead to make his wine hobby into a business.

His company is one of 18 beverage companies joining 28 chefs and businesses known for their support of local farmers and sustainable practices at TerraVITA, a food and wine event at Southern Village on Saturday.

The event has been in the works for more than a year.

TerraVITA seeks to celebrate sustainability and to educate the 550 expected attendees about good farming and food practices while also raising money through a silent auction for local charities.

For Chapel Hill Wine, choosing products made from organic or sustainable farms is a natural part of finding the best wines.

“Wines made sustainably happen to be more interesting,” manager Michael Klinger said. “Sustainable wines really reflect our passion.”

Wielar opened his first store in Hillsborough in 2002 after experiencing the wine industry from all sides — having worked for a winery, a distributor and a supplier.

Less than a year later, Wielar opened his Chapel Hill store.

“He makes it fun and exciting,” Klinger said. “We learned from him to de-mystify wine.”

“The wine importers and retailers like Chapel Hill Wine Company and 3 Cups are really known for supporting small growers that feature sustainable practices,” she said.

One part of the event’s educational component is a demonstration of how to cook with grass-fed beef.

“If people don’t have a good experience with it, they’re not as apt to follow those positive trends,” Minton said.

Wielar has a two-pronged business model: Be the best at what you do, and give back to the community.

The company’s website reflects the evolution of its business, stating, “We don’t sell tea cozies, or balloon animals … We’re your wine guy.”

Although Wielar sold a variety of items including beer, cheese and gift baskets when he first opened the store, he decided to focus only on wine.

“We want to be experts at what we do,” he said. “We decided to spend 100 percent of our effort on 100 percent of our sales as opposed to spreading ourselves thin.”

But for Wielar, giving back to the community is most important because the community supports the business.

Wielar donates to N.C. Children’s Hospital with his Corks for Kids fundraiser.

“Choosing the hospital was pretty easy because they saved my wife’s life during childbirth with my daughter,” he said.

“I felt like I owed them a debt that I’m trying to repay by raising money and awareness.”

Corks for Kids has raised about $350,000 during the past five years, he said.

One of the projects the hospital is working on that Wielar said he was excited about is a rooftop garden that will enable long-term patients to spend time outside.

“Unfortunately for some of them it may be their last chance,” Wielar said. “It’s a pretty powerful thing.”

Contact the City Editor

at citydesk@unc.edu.