In first year, Apple claims large share of CCI orders

Graphic: In first year, Apple claims large share of CCI orders (Anna Thompson)

In just its first year as part of the Carolina Computing Initiative, Apple has already claimed almost the same number of laptop sales as Lenovo.

As of Monday, 48 percent of the preordered computers from CCI were MacBook Pros, said David Eckert, CCI program manager.

The program, which includes Apple computers for the first time, offers either the MacBook Pro or Lenovo ThinkPad with a four-year warranty and on-campus support and repair.

Compared to June 6 of last year, total sales of CCI computers increased by 22 percent, he said.

“Some of that increase is definitely attributed to adding Macs to the program,” Eckert said.

But the sales totals for preordered computers are not final, he said.

Priscilla Alden, executive director of user support and engagement for Information Technology Services, said the increase in total sales might be misleading since students continue to order computers during the summer.

“It’s very possible that we just have more people buying earlier this year,” she said. “At the end, it (might) be the same number.”

Alden said it’s too early to know if the large number of sales will lead to lower Mac prices for CCI.

“(If) it’s known that sales are at a certain volume, then they can talk to us about a better discount,” she said.

Larry Conrad, vice chancellor for information technology, said CCI added the Mac option because of an ongoing demand from students and faculty.

“It is a religious issue,” he said. “It almost doesn’t matter what else is available or how good the price is. By golly, they want a Mac and they’re going to pay whatever premium is associated with that.”

Conrad said it took several years to include Apple in CCI.

“When I compare notes with my counterparts (at other universities), I hear the same story — that Apple can be difficult to negotiate with,” he said.

He said the University did not receive price discounts for as much as he had hoped.

“I don’t think we got a fabulous deal for students,” Conrad said. “We got all that we are going to get out of Apple.”

John Gorsuch, manager of the RAM shop at Student Stores, said CCI couldn’t consider Apple until it extended the AppleCare warranty to four years. CCI then added Safeware insurance to the package to compensate for Apple’s lack of accident insurance.

“The University desires that (freshmen) have good, complete coverage for their computer the whole four years that they’re here,” Gorsuch said. “That means four years of insurance and four years of warranty.”

Conrad said Lenovo has been a strong partner for CCI and the addition of Apple to CCI was due to demand, not Lenovo’s performance.

But some students said they are planning on buying the MacBook Pro through CCI for the fall, in part due to the poor performance of ThinkPads.

Mike Allan, a rising sophomore, said he bought a Lenovo through CCI last year but plans on buying CCI’s Mac option because of Apple’s software and aesthetics, as well as the technical failure of his ThinkPad in the past.

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.