'Energy palpable' at Gram-O-Rama

8553_1202_gramorama_gaylordf.jpg
Students in the Creative Writing Program's Gram-O-Rama class performed original skits Thursday night in Wilson Library. Skits payed homage to the eight parts of grammar. Themes included wordplay, idioms, parody, double negatives and much more.The skit "Chivalry" starred Ramey Mize and Brandon Rafalson. Rafalson did not speak but only played a kazoo during the entire skit.

The effects of snoffle-ploffing, how to grill a Wolfe and the fact that clauses like a healthy “but” were among the topics addressed by the pun-filled Gram-O-Rama performance Thursday.

Students were lined up in the lobby of Wilson Library for half an hour before the doors opened for the performance, which is the culmination of a fall semester class.

The room’s 150 seats filled quickly and students stood lining the walls to see the annual performance.

“The energy is palpable,” said Andrew Waszkowski, a senior English major and a Gram-O-Rama performer.

Fall semester each year, the English 307 class performs skits based on its class work. The skits are filled with puns, idioms and nonsense writing.

One skit, titled “Sweeping: A Filthy Habit,” turned the word “sweep” into a slang word for hooking up. Second base was referred to as touching buckets, and at the end a girl tearfully admitted to her friend that she had almost given a boy her vacuum.

Performers kept the audience engaged and laughing throughout the production.

“I was really blown away by it,” freshman Anna Faison said. “I didn’t know what to expect.

“I think sometimes we tend to ignore grammar, and I think the fact that they were able to honor it and make people laugh at it was a really cool thing,” Faison said.

The class has included a performance component since the first time it was offered in the 1970s. It was discontinued from the 1980s until 2001 but has been offered continuously since then.

To be in the class, students must go through an interview process.

“I thought that it would improve my comedy and also be really fun,” said sophomore Brandon Rafalson, who performed in the production.

Waszkowski said after seeing previous classes’ shows, he knew he wanted to take the class.

“I wanted to be part of a class that was having that much fun,” Waszkowski said.

The grand finale was a passive-voice performance — “Don’t Let Believing Be Stopped” — which received a standing ovation.

In the past, Gram-O-Rama has drawn crowds of more than 200 people.

“It’s more than just understanding grammar,” Rafalson said. “It’s appreciating it.”

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.