Former UNC student and Daily Tar Heel photographer releases photos documenting civil rights movement in Chapel Hill

While studying at UNC during the peak of the civil rights movement, former Daily Tar Heel photographer Jim Wallace captured images of Franklin Street marches, sit-ins and Ku Klux Klan rallies.

Now, Wallace has released a book that documents the many unpublished photos that he took in Chapel Hill while on the job that show the heart of the movement.

“It was not a Selma, it was not a Montgomery, but it was small communities and municipalities like Chapel Hill and others throughout the South where the civil rights movement began,” he said.

Wallace introduced his book “Courage in the Moment: The Civil Rights Struggle” to a full room at Carroll Hall on Monday evening.

Jan Yopp, a member of the Carolina Association of Black Journalists and also dean of summer school, described Wallace’s book as a “window into the South — past and present.”

Wallace said he had three goals for his book.

He said he wanted to showcase student work, highlight the level of importance of the Chapel Hill civil rights activists and recognize those by name who participated in the movement.

Wallace said his work at the DTH was particularly important because coverage of the movement at the time was slim. He said that the DTH elected to take an editorial stance in support of the movement.

“The Tar Heel covered it more than the regional and state newspapers and local papers,” he said.

Other papers around the state only extended their coverage to short columns in their margins, so the DTH became a significant source for those seeking updates on civil rights in Chapel Hill, Wallace said.

He said the DTH’s support of civil rights came from the number of UNC students who took part in the movement.

Wallace was even able to attend the march on Washington D.C. where Martin Luther King Jr. gave his famous “I Have A Dream” speech, he said, and documented footage inside the crowd not seen in the mainstream media.

Junior Kyle Rainey attended Wallace’s lecture and said he was touched by Wallace’s photos.

“It was really interesting to see the pictures and hear the stories behind them,” he said.

“The images taken at the Klan rally were very powerful.”

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.