Herman Cain shares desire to preserve American dream during visit to UNC

Former Republican presidential candidate Herman Cain visited the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill campus Thursday.

He used to sit at the back of a segregated bus — now he has his own. And it even has his face on it, for anyone who might doubt it belongs to him.

Herman Cain, a former Republican presidential candidate, talked Thursday about his hard upbringing, his goals and his desire to preserve the American dream.

Cain gave a speech to more than 500 people in the Medical Biomolecular Research Building. He began by talking about growing up during the civil rights movement.

“Look at me. Today not only was I able to run for president, I have my own bus out there with my picture on it.”

Cain emphasized that the American dream, though broken, can be fixed if people stay informed, involved and inspired.

“The American dream is under attack,” he said. “The good news is that we can take it back.”

Cain said his first dream was to make $20,000 a year and have two American Express cards.

Once he accomplished this goal, he went on to work for the Pillsbury Company and then Burger King, eventually becoming CEO of Godfather’s Pizza Inc.

“I had multiple dreams and multiple careers,” he said.

Cain said now that he is out of the presidential race, he wants to use the experience to get more involved in politics.

“Just because I’m no longer seeking a position does not mean I’m giving up on the mission to put the nation back on track,” he said.

Cain also said the military and economy should be strengthened. He advocated for the usage of U.S. energy resources.

“Don’t let someone tell you America can’t be fixed,” he said. “The great strength of this nation is America’s ability to change when it has to.

“What you do does matter… We will restore the American dream.”

The event was hosted by UNC College Republicans, the UNC Economics Club and Young America’s Foundation. It cost the organizations $10,000.

Greg Steele, chairman of the College Republicans, said Cain was a good speaker because of his various experiences.

“Mr. Cain appeals to such a wide array of people and has a fascinating story that is a true testament to the American dream,” he said.

Ciera Combs, a sophomore political science major who attended the event, said she did not know much about Cain except for his campaign.

“It doesn’t matter if he’s a Republican or Democrat, I’m just interested in what he has to say,” she said.

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.