Some bus lines may be eliminated during breaks to save costs

Lower student fees means more walking.

Working to accommodate a tighter transportation system budget, members of the advisory committee for transportation met Wednesday to discuss tentative cutbacks to student transit.

The system’s funding is suffering as a result of budget shortfalls. Department of Public Safety tried to ease these shortfalls by raising student transit fees by $14.50 per student ­— but the student fee advisory subcommittee approved an increase of just $8.74.

The funding shortfall will mandate cutbacks in service, some as drastic as cutting entire bus lines during winter, spring and summer vacations, members said.

Cheryl Stout, assistant director for parking services, said terminating the NU bus line during breaks would save $65,000, a hefty portion of the $150,000 reduction target.

Stout said students could receive temporary parking permits during vacations and that other bus lines would be capable of compensating the loss of the NU if it was not during the academic year.

But Stout said this reduction in service is not a perfect option.

“This line also makes stops on Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., so that would have some non-residential effects,” Stout said.

Stout also said terminating the U bus line Sunday service is worth considering, despite the inconvenience to those trying to travel downtown for weekend outings.

Stout said some options, such as ending operation hours at 6 p.m. for the U and RU lines, presented side effects on large numbers of students and staff that rendered it an unwise option.

Steve Spade, director of the Chapel Hill transit department, said all options would have negative effects, but action is necessary.

“We know we’re going to affect some people when we do this,” Spade said. “It’s how you minimize the effect.”

Spade said looking at ridership data is a good indicator of what services affect more people, adding that the bus system has an average ridership of 55 to 60 riders per hour. The NU during vacation breaks averages only 30 riders per hour.

Spade said reducing individual stops on a bus line does not have a significant impact on costs and is not an effective option.

He added that the system would still maintain their free fare policy.

The cost of facilitating and administrating fares would cost more than the budget could manage, among other reasons, Stout said.

Christopher Payne, associate vice chancellor for student affairs, said student voice in this discussion is a necessary element in making a decision.

“I propose I coordinate a group of students to discuss ideas and bring back recommendations about how to move forward,” Payne said.

“This is a relevant topic for everyone.”

Contact the University Editor at university@dailytarheel.com.