Bottom of Lenoir to get Freshens frozen yogurt franchise this summer

Starting this summer, students won’t have to walk to Franklin Street to get their frozen yogurt fix.

Carolina Dining Services has begun replacing the convenience store in the bottom of Lenoir Dining Hall with a Freshens frozen yogurt, smoothies, and crepes shop, said Director of Auxiliary Services Mike Freeman.

He said Freshens is projected to open before the end of May, adding that no positions are being terminated as a result of the change.

Dining Services officials have been looking to replace the convenience store mainly because the Pit Stop and Student Stores have longer hours and a larger selection.

“We’re changing the venue to create more products students want,” he said.

Lenoir had a Freshens franchise during the 1990s through 2001, but it lacked popularity, Freeman said.

But the franchise’s recent addition of crepes has refreshed the company’s model and will allow Dining Services to incorporate local foods into crepes and yogurt, Freeman said.

Assistant Supervisor in Design and Construction Services David Sichi said the renovation process began this week.

“We’re responsible for the generic space, electrical and plumbing,” Sichi said.

Freshens will provide the signs and dealer-specific materials for the franchise.

Sophomore Ava Lane said she thinks the store could be redundant since Jamba Juice is also in the bottom of Lenoir.

“They’re just jumping on the frozen yogurt train — the thing that was there before was probably more useful,” Lane said.

But when Lane found out the store will serve crepes, she reconsidered.

“Crepes would be good,” she said.

Contact the University Editor ?at university@dailytarheel.com.