Top of the Hill’s new distillery hosts tour for charity

12290_0531_topo_distillery_keyf.jpg

Top of the Hill Distillery owner Scott Maitland is shown with the vodka and piedmont gin bottle prototypes inside the new distillery.

Scott Maitland is hoping to use the new Top of the Hill Distillery for more than just good-tasting liquor.

The distillery will host a private tour and tasting tonight, as part of a fundraiser with the Orange County Rape Crisis Center. As of Tuesday, tickets are still available.

Top of the Hill donated the private tour and tasting to the rape crisis center and allowed the center to sell tickets for it. About 20 to 30 people are expected to attend the fundraiser.

Maitland, who owns Top of the Hill Restaurant and Brewery, will lead a tour of the facility beginning at 6 p.m. Guests will be treated to a selection of vodkas and white whiskeys made in the distillery, along with Top of the Hill’s beer and appetizers.

He said this is the second time the distillery has been opened to the public — the first being a tour for owners of local bars and restaurants in April. The distillery will open for business in July.

“We’re excited to reach out to the community in a way we don’t normally get to, so I think it’ll be a really fun event,” said Alyson Culin, development and marketing director for the rape crisis center.

Culin said the center’s relationship with Top of the Hill has given them the opportunity to reach out to people in the community on an individual level, rather than just raise a large amount of money.

Esteban McMahan, investor and salesperson at the distillery, said he has donated to the rape crisis center before and has been involved in their fundraisers, but is especially excited about this one.

“Top of the Hill has been heavily involved in many nonprofits in Chapel Hill and the area,” he said.

McMahan said the high level of collaboration between Top of the Hill and the center is unusual for an event like this.

“Normally we would give them $50 gift certificates,” he said. “It’s interesting to give a tour.”

The rape crisis center hopes to raise about $500 from the fundraiser, which will go towards general programs and services.

Maitland said he was glad to be a part of the event.

“Top of the Hill Restaurant and Brewery has a long history of helping out local charitable organizations,” he said. “The distillery wants to continue that tradition.”

Maitland said they hope to ship their first products out in the next few weeks to North Carolina ABC stores and Franklin Street restaurants and bars.

Tickets are $30 and are sold by the rape crisis center. Tickets can be purchased on their website, www.ocrcc.org or by contacting Culin at 919-968-4647.

The rape crisis center offers a 24-hour crisis response line to rape victims, as well as support groups and individual therapy. An education team from the center also holds programs for youth and adults on how to recognize and prevent violence.

Contact the City Editor at city@thedailytarheel.com.