Chapel Hill police should be more open with investigation

After a student dies violently, other students and members of the community have a right to know if they should be concerned for their own safety.

At the request of Chapel Hill police, a Durham Superior Court judge has sealed several records related to the investigation into the Friday death of Faith Danielle Hedgepeth, a UNC student. These records include more than one search warrant related to the investigation and the 911 call that alerted police to the crime.

Such steps might not seem inappropriate given how sensitive the case is. But police have also ruled out suicide and an accident as causes of death. Therefore it would not be illogical for Chapel Hill residents to worry about a possible perpetrator being on the loose.

Police have cited the ongoing investigation as reason enough to seal the records. But the lack of information comes at a cost. With few facts, what emerges is wild speculation, rumors and fear.

More importantly, public safety is at stake. Students and residents would benefit from knowing where police have conducted searches in recent days. Indeed, warrants are presumably open to the public, as are 911 calls, unless sealed by a judge.

Of course, there is no doubt that police are doing everything they can to solve this heinous crime as quickly as possible. They surely have the best of intentions in sealing the records, perhaps believing search warrants could tip their hand to suspects.

But there has to be a better way of conducting an investigation than through a public records blackout.

Students and other residents are right to wonder what they can do to ensure their own safety.

Blind trust in the Chapel Hill police, or any institution, should not be a community’s only option.

Presented with the choice between trusting an institution to keep the public’s interest in mind and having all information within reason available to the public view, this newspaper will always opt for the latter.

In such a tragic time, law enforcement shouldn’t lose sight of the reality that people need facts ­— to be safer, and to feel safer.

Chapel Hill police should recognize this and release information in the interest of public safety.