DNC officials move Obama's speech to Time Warner Cable Arena

The Democratic National Convention Committee announced today that President Barack Obama’s scheduled speech at Bank of America Stadium Thursday has been moved inside due to severe weather forecasts.

“We have been monitoring weather forecasts closely and several reports predict thunderstorms in the area, therefore we have decided to move Thursday’s proceedings to Time Warner Cable Arena to ensure the safety and security of our delegates and convention guests,” said committee CEO Steve Kerrigan.

Democratic officials had planned to use the atmosphere of Bank of America stadium, which holds more than 65,000 people, to cast a larger spotlight on Obama as he makes his case for re-election.

The president will speak with credential holders for the speech on a national conference call Thursday afternoon. Committee officials said those unable to attend will receive an invitation to see Obama before election day.

UPDATE: UNC Young Democrats President Austin Gilmore said it’s been confirmed that there will be zero community or public tickets for Obama’s speech tomorrow — meaning that about 150 students will no longer be able to attend.

The group previously arranged for buses to transport students to Charlotte on Thursday. But now that the speech has been moved to a venue with more limited space, Gilmore said the buses are canceled and any students already in the city are heading back to Chapel Hill.

“We’re definitely disappointed that we’re not going to see Obama speak,” he said. “But there’s nothing you can do about rain.”

The Young Democrats are co-sponsoring a watch party with the Black Student Movement for Obama’s speech Thursday at the Stone Center, Gilmore added.