Protesters promote religious tolerance, acceptance

13923_0926_muslimprotest_baileyf.jpg
Students gather on the steps of Wilson Library to protest the anti-Muslim film that sparked violent outbreaks in the Middle East.

While violent protests against an anti-Islam YouTube video have cropped up recently in the Middle East, UNC is attempting to lead by example — peacefully.

The words, “We want peace in the Middle East” echoed in Polk Place in a peaceful protest of more than 20 students promoting religious tolerance and condemning the violent reaction that has erupted globally to the film The Innocence of Muslims.

The film portrays Islam as a violent and anti-Christian religion and depicts the Prophet Muhammad as tyrannical and promiscuous.

The film was released under the direction of Nakoula Basseley Nakoula, a Coptic Christian and resident of California.

Sophomore Trevor Dougherty came up with the idea to organize the protest on Sunday and publicized it on Facebook and Twitter.

Dougherty said he believes UNC has the power to inspire a national movement for peace and diplomacy.

“My goal is for people in the Middle East to hear about this protest and for one less person to die due to our message of peace and tolerance,” Dougherty said.

“We want to fight the misunderstanding, hatred and violence that this film has created.”

The film has resulted in violent protests in the Middle East, North Africa and Asia due to its offensive content.

U.S. Ambassador to Libya Chris Stevens and three other Americans were killed in a protest attack on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya.

UNC’s protesters stressed the film is an inaccurate portrayal of the Islamic faith, and that they believe many Americans do not agree with its content.

Dougherty said he hopes others will follow his approach. The protesters also condemned ignorance toward other cultures.

“I think it will raise awareness and help to promote tolerance,” sophomore Katie Harp said.

“As students and adults, it is important to promote acceptance, because we are the future of America.”

The protesters bowed their heads at the end of the protest for a moment of silence to remember those who have been killed as a result of the violence.

Sophomore Ahmad Saad said he hopes more students will join the cause.

“While we were all out here, it was great,” Saad said.

“But in the future, for this cause and otherwise, I hope that more people come out and join and help it to become bigger instead of waiting for something else huge to happen,” Saad said.

Dougherty said he was pleased with the turnout, and he hopes students will continue to advocate for tolerance.

“If the violence continues, then we will likely continue protests and demonstrations.”

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.