Southern Village proposal is questionable

A proposal to expand the Southern Village development sparked concern about affordable housing at Monday night’s Chapel Hill Town Council meeting.

The council discussed the concept plan for Southern Village — a mixed-use development off U.S. 15-501. The expansion plan, which includes 68 apartments and a 115-room hotel, received mixed reviews from the council.

Councilman Jim Ward expressed concern about the increased traffic for the development.

But other council members said affordable housing was their primary concern.

Several smaller housing units located near the property are expected to be demolished.

And council members are concerned this will effect the availability of affordable housing in the area.

Councilwoman Penny Rich said she was concerned for the families living in the units.

Rich said the housing allows for families to send their children to a good school system, and she would like to see a certain number of affordable housing apartments included in the development.

But Councilman Matt Czajkowski said he was not sure whether the housing units being demolished are affordable and asked for the actual rent prices.

Sarah O’Brien, who represented Bryan Properties Inc., the owners of Southern Village, presented the concept plan to the council.

She said the company spoke with residents who expressed support for the project.

O’Brien said the project would help the town achieve goals for development outlined in the Chapel Hill 2020 comprehensive plan.

Parking for the new buildings will be underground in order to allow for more building density and green space.

O’Brien also said the $20 million development will increase the commercial tax base, use existing buildings and increase the use of public transit.

The development would generate $300,000 in property tax revenues, and $170,000 in occupancy tax revenues, said O’Brien.

Gary Kahn, a resident of Southern Village, spoke in opposition to the hotel at the meeting.

“I think the timing is totally wrong,” he said.

But O’Brien said the hotel will help build the local economy by encouraging visitors to stay overnight in the Chapel Hill area.

O’Brien said the average overnight guest in Chapel Hill spends $285 per day — which could stimulate other local businesses — and the development would prevent the loss of guests to hotels in the Durham area.

The applicant will review the council’s comments on the development.

Contact the desk editor at city@dailytarheel.com.