Viewpoint: University needs a fresh outside perspective

THE ISSUE: The chancellor selection committee met Monday to begin the search for Chancellor Holden Thorp’s successor. One contentious factor the committee must consider is whether the new chancellor should come from outside the UNC-system or from within. Two editorial members present opposing views. Read Nathan D’Ambrosio’s counter-viewpoint.

The chancellor search committee met Monday to start finding candidates that will best fulfill the needs of the University.

Most people can agree on what he or she should embody — a chancellor should be accessible, knowledgeable and conscious of the entire package UNC has to offer to its students and faculty.

But of all of the ideal characteristics for a candidate, the new chancellor should be one from outside the UNC system.

UNC has recently gone through a period of great accomplishments alongside various scandals. Bringing in a chancellor from the outside will give the institution a fresh start in the complete sense of the phrase.

This chancellor will bring in a new pair of eyes as he or she learns everything there is to know about the University and the UNC system from the ground up.

The further away a chancellor is from the UNC system, the less likely he or she is to come in with preconceived notions of how UNC should be run.

They will be able to identify the needs of the University in an unbiased manner and create a plan for the institution’s future that caters specifically to its needs.

Additionally, this chancellor could bring in a different background and with it, the ideas, experiences and whole new skill set necessary for a fresh perspective.

By combining what has been done in the past at UNC with this new background, these new ideas for UNC’s future will undoubtedly become that much stronger.

Regardless of his or her home system, one of the most important assets of the new chancellor is to act on students’ voices.

At the end of the day, UNC aims to give students the necessary skill set to thrive in the future. At this point in the University’s history, the best person to do that will come from afar.