'Filthy Talk' addresses controversial themes

Leila Kaji (left) and Erik Peterson (right) rehearse a scene for opening night. "Filthy Talk for Troubled Times" opens at Hanes Art Center November 29th at 8pm.

It may not be tolerated in the classroom, but “Filthy Talk” is welcome at Company Carolina.

Company Carolina’s last show of the season, “Filthy Talk for Troubled Times (& Other Plays),” opens tonight in Hanes Art Center.

The show focuses on two everymen as they philosophize about everything from sex to the meaning of life in a bar.

Daniel Doyle, the student director, said he was drawn to the script because it deals with common happenings that — while controversial to speak of — everyone goes through.

“The main thing that struck me from the script is the honesty,” said Doyle. “We don’t bring these stories up, but we have all had them.”

Doyle said the show breathes fresh air into the world of entertainment because it puts reality on stage and lets the audience just look at it.

Doyle said the show is pushing the boundaries of what is usually performed — but not in a negative way.

“It’s not just shock value — it has a message,” he said.

Erik Peterson, who portrays one of the everymen in the production, said the show is different because not many colleges would be willing to take on a production that is so overt.

“The last minute of the show is very devastating and shocking. I don’t think you’d get it in the average college theater,” Peterson said.

“It’s very brave at an amateur level to do a play with this level of maturity.”

Doyle said it is the responsibility of artists to push boundary lines.

He said this show, through its blunt honestly, makes it possible for people to realize they are not the only ones going through troubling or disturbing times.

“We get to look at the sides of ourselves that we don’t want to face every day,” he said.

Peterson said the actors can push boundary lines because college theater is relatively low-risk.

“This is the best opportunity we get for performing this out-there kind of thing. We don’t get that in professional theater.”

Peterson said he is most excited about the show’s surprise ending.

“I want them to be talking about it, and I don’t want them to stop talking about it 10 minutes after they leave.”

Kim Sikkel, who performs the monologue “The War on Terror” in the production, said she wants the audience to leave being a little more honest with themselves.

She said she is glad she has been given a place to carry out a dialogue that many may deem taboo.

“It’s really great that Company Carolina gives audiences a place to feel naughty for the night.”

Contact the desk editor at arts@dailytarheel.com.