Town should allow political, religious bus ads

THE ISSUE: After a debate sparked by two bus ads, one by Pamela Geller and one by the Church of Reconciliation, the Chapel Hill Town Council recently found it was using an incorrect policy. The council will discuss today if the policy should allow political and religious advertising to run on town bus lines.

Read Nathan D’Ambrosio’s counterpoint.

The town is reviewing the policy governing advertisements in bus lines. The council should allow political and religious ads to be posted in town buses.

Currently, the policy allowing all new advertisements has been suspended.

This comes on the heels of two advertisements — only one of which was approved and running — that caused controversy and public outcry.

With so many citizens using the bus system, it can be utilized as an important public forum.

The anti-Israeli aid ad should not be removed. And the anti-Jihad ad should be approved.

While the ads may make people feel uncomfortable, we should not stifle free speech for the small number of people that may be offended. Both ads, one that some claim to be anti-Semitic and the other called offensive toward Muslims, are contentious.

First, some Jewish residents have said they feel uncomfortable about the ad running in buses. The ad, paid for by the Church of Reconciliation, is asking for the “end of U.S. military aid to Israel.” Images of smiling Palestinians and Israelis seek to “build peace with justice and equality.” It would be hard for the average bus rider to derive that as anti-Semitic.

On the other hand, some members of the community claim the anti-Jihad ad is an example of hate speech against Muslims. The ad does not denounce Muslims or their faith. The ad attacks those who choose to savagely attack their fellow humans in suicide attacks.

It is hard to argue that both ads don’t have negative religious undertones. However, neither promotes hate. The town must be careful if it begins to select ads based on who may be offended.

The council should allow political and religious messages to encourage town discourse.