FRANK Gallery brings color to blues music

Katie Loebner (front) and Kate Winterbottom (behind), both Graduate students,  enjoy the BLUES event at FRANK Gallery on Friday, the 11th. There was much to see, including jazz musicians, food, drinks, and lots of art, even the artists on display.
Katie Loebner (front) and Kate Winterbottom (behind), both Graduate students, enjoy the BLUES event at FRANK Gallery on Friday, the 11th. There was much to see, including jazz musicians, food, drinks, and lots of art, even the artists on display.

Depictions of both blues music and shades of the color visually divide the walls of FRANK Gallery, while sultry sounds drift through the space.

The exhibit, entitled “Blues,” opened Friday and ponders the juxtapositions associated with the blues — from emotional loss to bent notes, or a long-lost valentine to the hottest part of a flame.

It not only showcases shades of blue, but also captures other vivacious colors that characterize the age of the blues, with bright oranges and yellows dominating many of the featured pieces.

Allee Olive, a UNC alumna, said her favorite piece of the exhibit was an exaggerated portrait of a jazz musician that hangs near the entrance — a piece crafted by Tariq Mix, an invited artist.

Mix, originally from Durham, said he feels at home at the gallery. He said his pieces are vibrant, painted with high energy to depict the color of music.

“The thing that inspires me the most is the deep culture of the blues and the pureness of the music — it’s colorful,” Mix said.

Mix said he is mostly known for his musical paintings — which come naturally to him, given his musical background.

“Music and art go hand-in-hand,” Mix said. “I paint music visually.”

William Ferris, senior associate director of the Center for the Study of the American South, said the blues emerged at the end of the 19th century. The genre rose to popularity in the 1920s when it was produced commercially by classic female blues singers, he said.

“It is unquestionably the most important music of the 20th century,” Ferris said.

“No aspect of artistic expression has not been touched by the blues.”

Carrboro-based jazz ensemble mahaloJazz performed at the opening reception for “Blues.”

Alison Weiner, electric keyboardist for the band, said the blues allow for different performance styles than classical music.

She said she appreciates how both jazz and the blues maintain a certain level of freedom and expression.

“That really gets lost in classical music. Bach did it, but it doesn’t get taught much anymore,” Weiner said.

“It really allows for improvisation.”

Contact the desk editor at arts@dailytarheel.com.