Morrison community director receives DWI

Taris Mullins

Taris Mullins

The community director of Morrison Residence Hall was arrested on campus Dec. 16 and charged with driving while impaired, according to UNC Department of Public Safety police reports.

Taris Mullins, 25, no longer holds the position.

Mullins was arrested in the Morrison Circle parking lot after being involved in a car accident.
According to the DPS crash report, Mullins left Paul Hardin Drive at 1 a.m. and was attempting to park in Morrison Circle when he collided with a 2006 Honda.

He hit the curb while attempting to park, backed up and sideswiped the car, the report states.
According to the report, Mullins caused $1,400 in total damages.

Mullins had a blood alcohol concentration of 0.15, the report states. The legal limit in North Carolina is 0.08.

The arresting officer wrote in the report that a suspicious driver in Morrison’s parking lot was “driving erratically.”

According to the DPS arrest report, Mullins was charged with one misdemeanor count of DWI, and he had a trial date of Dec. 20.

In an email, Mullins declined to comment on the incident and his employment status.

Morrison residents received an email Jan. 8 saying Mullins would no longer be serving as community director because of “personal circumstances.”

Sarah Flynn and Ellen Hearn are serving as Morrison’s community directors. The position’s responsibilities include: supervising resident advisers, overseeing desk operations and leading the community in fulfilling the housing department’s mission statement.

In the fall, Mullins gained notoriety in the community after introducing a program that rewards people who are observed performing acts of kindness.

Rick Bradley, assistant director of housing assignments and communication, did not respond to multiple emails and phone calls soliciting comment on how the department handles violations.

University spokeswoman Karen Moon wrote in an email that further information about Mullins’ job status would not be available Tuesday.

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.