Shooting victim Danielle Jameison works to return to campus

Danielle Jameison

Danielle Jameison

A UNC student who was shot on Jan. 7 is up and walking again with a goal in mind ­— returning to Chapel Hill.

“I am in pretty good health — I’m in the hospital but that’s more precautionary,” said sophomore Danielle Jameison.

Jameison and Maurice Eugene Edmonds, the father of her younger half-brother, sustained critical injuries after being shot earlier this month at a Greensboro home in what police are calling a murder-homicide, said spokeswoman for the Greensboro Police Department Susan Danielsen.

Jameison’s mother, Sandra Palmer, 47, was found to be the sole assailant, Danielsen said. Palmer and her son, Jameison’s half-brother Maurice Edmonds II, 14, were found dead at the scene by the Greensboro Police Department.

Sophomore Ashley Brinkman, Jameison’s friend and former hallmate, visited her at Moses Cone Hospital in Greensboro on Friday.

“She’s still being her sassy self in the hospital, telling all the nurses what to do,” she said.

Danielsen said police are not expecting any new developments.

“At this point, we’re focused on the two survivors having full recoveries,” she said.

Danielsen said Palmer used a Glock 9 mm pistol and a revolver in the shooting.

She added that North Carolina doesn’t require individuals to register their guns, but that police did know that the revolver was obtained lawfully.

Jameison is a member of the admissions ambassadors program and Rethink: Psychiatric Illness. She also ran cross country last year on the UNC club team.

Jameison said she misses the work she has done in UNC’s Center of Excellence for Eating Disorders and the Peer Relations Lab, and can’t wait to get back to it.

“I like that sense of peace and calm, even when you have that feeling of running around with your head cut off, even when you’re stressed out, you’re enjoying it,” Jameison said.

She admitted she will have to adjust when she gets back.

“I think that as much as it pains me I will have to cut back on my activities and my class load ­­­­— I’ll probably need to take it easy on my body and mind.”

Jameison, a psychology major, said she is planning to pursue a Ph.D. after college.

Her friends have seen firsthand Jameison’s commitment to academics.

“She never skipped a class — even when we tried to convince her, she wouldn’t do it,” sophomore Maddie Poole said.

Poole described Jameison as quirky and altruistic.

“When I first met her she came up and asked me if she could have a hug, and from that moment on I wanted her to be my friend,” Poole said.

“She just wants to make everyone feel loved.”

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.