Abortion coverage up in the air in NC

As implementation of the Affordable Care Act begins to take shape in North Carolina, the question of whether abortions will be covered in the state’s health care exchange remains unanswered.

Both the N.C. House and Senate have voted to approve a bill that would not expand Medicaid under the act and establish a federally-run exchange in the state, though the bill must still be reviewed in conference committee.

The health care exchange will enable residents and small businesses to choose from a variety of different insurance policies.

The exchange, which will begin operating in 2014, is slated to offer at least one policy that covers abortion procedures and one policy that does not.

But legislators and lobbyists are watching closely to see if the state will join at least 20 other states that have passed laws to restrict abortion coverage in plans offered through the insurance exchange.

Rep. Verla Insko, D-Orange, said access to abortion coverage could be restricted by the Republican-controlled legislature.

“I would not be surprised if a bill came up to ban abortion coverage in the health exchange,” she said.

Insko said legislators have previously voted to restrict abortion coverage in the state’s Medicaid plan and in the “Women’s Right to Know” law — which includes requiring women to wait 24 hours before an abortion procedure.

“The state has a way of curtailing access to a process that’s legal,” she said.

Barbara Holt, president of the anti-abortion group N.C. Right to Life, said prohibiting abortion coverage in the exchange is a “top priority” for her organization.

“We want to be like the other states who are taking this opportunity,” she said. “Abortion is not a health benefit — it’s destroying a human life.”

Holt said even some pro- abortion rights supporters might be opposed to allowing abortion coverage under the health care exchange.

“Most people don’t want to be viewed as paying for other people’s abortions,” she said.

States’ adoption of the Affordable Care Act must not use federal funding for abortions except in cases of rape, incest or to save a woman’s life.

According to the act, one plan in the exchange must not cover abortion and one must cover abortions beyond cases of rape, incest or to save a woman’s life.

But states are able to pass laws restricting abortion coverage completely because the health care act also prevents the preemption of state laws regarding abortion.

“They’re singling out abortion,” said Paige Johnson, spokeswoman for Planned Parenthood of Central North Carolina.

“Even though the Affordable Care Act itself is neutral on abortion, states are passing laws that discriminate against abortion coverage.”

Contact the desk editor at state@dailytarheel.com.