Author Yasmin Mogahed speaks at Hijab Day for Islam Awareness Month

To wear a hijab is to free yourself from societal standards, said an internationally published journalist at a lecture Wednesday night.

“Your value as a woman is not measured by the size of your waist or the number of men who think you are sexy,” said Yasmin Mogahed, the author of the recently released book “Reclaim Your Heart.”

Mogahed spoke as a part of Islam Awareness Month, which is a series of events hosted by the Muslim Students Association in February.

Mogahed’s speech, at the Student Union, brought an end to Hijab Day, during which the association invited students on campus to step into the shoes of practicing Islamic women.

“I thought it would be a great idea to get the perspective of someone who wears a hijab everyday,” said Ariel Eure, a senior Latin American studies and geography double major who participated in the event.

Minhaj Baqai, president of the association, said he thinks it is important to contribute to the culture at UNC.

“Chapel Hill represents the epitome of a diverse environment, and we want to make sure we play a role in that,” he said.

Mogahed said the practice of wearing a hijab is often misconstrued as a symbol of women’s submission to the desires of men.

In reality, it is exactly the opposite, she said, adding that the hijab is actually a commitment to God, and by making that commitment the Islamic woman no longer relies upon society to gauge her self worth.

“God defines and God dignifies both men and women in their distinctiveness, and not in their sameness,” Mogahed said.

She said advertisers have utilized images of beautiful women to sell beer and cars to men. Women must free themselves from the trivial opinions of society and commit themselves to only God, she said.

“We don’t worship those beauty standards, and we don’t submit to the fashion sense, because our submission is to something higher,” Mogahed said.

In an effort to spread Islamic awareness, the Muslim Students Association is incorporating some collaborative events, including an interfaith Shabbat at UNC Hillel on Friday.

“We’re trying something new this year,” Baqai said. “We’re trying to spread Islam awareness through other religions as well.”

Contact the desk editor at university@dailytarheel.com.