CVS Pharmacy opts to pursue a smaller facility

227_cvs_hu

Representatives of CVS decided to abandon their re-zoning application of the proposed 201 N. Greensboro St. location until the public hearing in April.

A controversial proposal to build a CVS Pharmacy in Carrboro will undergo drastic changes after the pharmacy opted to withdraw its rezoning request and pursue a smaller facility.

More than 60 Carrboro residents and business owners filled the Carrboro Board of Aldermen meeting Tuesday night to voice their opinions on the proposal during a planned public hearing.

The public hearing was postponed so the developer can draft a new conditional use permit application for the project, said Jason Barron, a partner for Morningstar Law Group, the firm representing CVS.

“We would like to be able to amend the existing application and come back before you in April with something that applies to the existing zoning and doesn’t need rezoning” Barron said.

Since the pharmacy’s new plans are smaller, the new conditional use permit would not require the site be rezoned — meaning that the aldermen would judge the application based solely on its compliance to regulations, and not what they consider the best interests of the town.

“The issue we are compelled by North Carolina law to consider is whether a drug store is appropriate land use,” said Carrboro Mayor Mark Chilton.

“The fact of whether it is CVS or Walgreens or Carrboro Family Pharmacy is not something we are empowered to consider.”

The original proposal would have placed a CVS in the bottom floor of a two-story, 24,590 square foot development at its location at the corner of Greensboro and Weaver streets.

The proposal required rezoning approval and a conditional use permit from the town, and was met by opposition by both residents and some aldermen.

Last February, the site became the target of protesters, vandalism and guerrilla gardening.

Chilton and Alderman Sammy Slade said at the meeting that they felt that rezoning the site would not fit the location.

“I don’t think it is the best interests of our community to change the zoning on this block,” Chilton said.

Slade argued that altering the zoning for the block might detract from the surrounding historical community.

And for Carrboro residents who attended the meeting, the withdrawal of the rezoning request felt like a small victory.

Carrboro resident Daniel Amoni said he’s glad the town will review a proposal for a smaller CVS.

“I think we will have a smaller scale project, which is positive,” he said.

Contact the desk editor at city@dailytarheel.com.

Thanks for reading.

Read more in Carrboro Board of Aldermen