Lambden’s reach went beyond Greek system

An unfortunate aspect of democracy is that you do not always get what you want.

Christy Lambden will certainly make a great student body president, and this was obviously the thought of the majority of the student population, hence why he was elected and received a plethora of endorsements from campus groups. One important factor in this result was indeed diversity.

While white, heterosexual frat boys do indeed make up an important part of the diverse social fabric of UNC, they also made up the vast majority, if not all, of Will Lindsey’s campaign team.
On the other hand, I was proud to support a candidate with a diverse campaign team with solid representation of different genders, sexualities, races and socioeconomic statuses from across the world.

There may well be some division between the Greek community and the remainder of the student body, but to claim discrimination is, quite frankly, ridiculous.

Many recent student body presidents have been Greeks, including incumbent Will Leimenstoll, who is a member of Pi Kappa Phi fraternity.

Less than one in five UNC undergraduates belong to a fraternity or sorority, and a key factor in Lindsey’s loss was not embracing the majority outside the system.

Despite his nationality, Lambden has shown himself to be a man of the people, embracing all aspects of campus life, and thoroughly deserves his new position.

James Ellsmoor ‘16
Economics, geography