Solution exists for Greek divide at UNC

There have been several recent events at UNC that have highlighted a major, yet rarely discussed issue.

The student body president election and vandalism of Greek houses have emphasized the growing divide between Greeks and the rest of campus.

I’m a member of a Greek organization, and I will be the first to admit that there are serious flaws with the Greek system at UNC.

I can understand how some non-Greek students may view Greek organizations in a negative light.

That being said, I do feel there is bias associated with Greek organizations.

I did not vote for Will Lindsey, but I believe that his campaign was forced into a “Greek vs. non-Greek” debate and away from important issues, due to his Greek affiliation.

The senseless vandalism perpetrated by the “anarchist” group was a hypocritical and general response to crimes carried out by specific individuals, not fraternities themselves.

I say this not to place blame, but to highlight the serious issue of the divide in our student body.

I love Carolina because it’s a place where everyone is accepted.

If someone has a belief, they can voice it without fear of persecution.

We all need to remember that even though someone is different than ourselves, they aren’t automatically wrong.

Yes, there are issues that need to be voiced and discussed in a civil manner.

But we can’t let those issues destroy what makes this place special. We are all Tar Heels, and we all need to start acting like it.

Carson Coggins ’13
Political science