The UNC Board of Governors will hold a special meeting at 2 p.m. Friday to select the University’s next chancellor.

Joni Worthington, vice president of communications for the Board, said the candidate for chancellor is expected to be present at the meeting and will make remarks to the Board.

Worthington said the Board president will make a nomination for the candidate to be the next chancellor in open session, and the Board will vote in open session. Only one candidate will be presented to the Board.

The selected candidate would assume his or her role as the University’s next chancellor June 1, when Chancellor Holden Thorp will step down from the position. Thorp announced his resignation in September 2012, and will become provost of Washington University in St. Louis on July 1.

The meeting will be held in the boardroom of the Spangler Center. Members of the Board who are not present at the meeting may participate by telephone in selecting the next chancellor.

The chancellor selection committee has been meeting for months, and has been led by the UNC Board of Trustees Chairman Wade Hargrove.