Gender-neutral housing again faces legislative opposition

Four students who opted into the University’s gender-neutral housing program might have to find a new place to live in the fall.

A bill aiming to ban gender-neutral housing at the University failed to make it out of the N.C. Senate earlier this session — but it recently found new life as an amendment to the Senate budget, which was approved May 23.

If the final budget — which should be announced by the end of June — is approved with the same provision, it could put an end to gender-neutral housing at UNC before it begins.

Now, as the N.C. House of Representatives finalizes its budget proposal, the University is deciding what it will do if the amendment becomes law.

Terri Phoenix, director of UNC’s LGBTQ Center, said it would be difficult for students who have opted into the program — and signed a housing contract with the University — to acquire off-campus housing at this stage, should the amendment become law.

The University designated 32 spaces in Carmichael Residence Hall, Craige North and Ram Village for the pilot program, said Rick Bradley, associate director of housing. But only four students have signed up to participate, and Bradley said the University planned to work individually with students to determine their placement.

But he said if the budget passes with the provision, the gender-neutral housing program would not be able to move forward.

“Certainly we would not be able to go against state law, so this could potentially put a stop to the pilot,” he said.

Junior Kevin Claybren, who led the push for gender-neutral housing at UNC and plans to participate in the pilot program this fall, said the new efforts by members of the General Assembly show state interference in University affairs despite broad support.

“We’ve got 2,816 student signatures of support, 55 student organizations endorsed it, the Board of Trustees unanimously endorsed it and the chancellor endorsed it — that’s a lot of overwhelming support,” he said.

Claybren said he wants legislators to realize that this issue is important to students.

Contact the desk editor at

university@dailytarheel.com.