Feminist magazine returns to UNC

The Siren was last published in 2010 due to a lapse in leadership.

After a three-year hiatus, UNC’s only feminist magazine will return this fall, aiming to give the University’s female population a louder voice.

Siren Womyn Empowerment Magazine, a student-produced publication aimed at promoting feminism, was first published in 2006, but died out in 2010 due to a collapse in leadership initiative.

Siren’s rebirth this year was a combination of two students’ passion for writing and interests in women’s rights.

Co-editor Morgan Johnson, a junior, said it is important for UNC to include women’s voices in more campus publications.

“The majority of students, both undergraduate and graduate, are female-identified,” Johnson said.

“So I feel like it’s important for them to have a voice about women’s rights and social issues.”

The UNC student body is 42 percent male and 58 percent female.

Senior co-editor Ping Nguyen said one of the most important steps in revamping the magazine was finding the funds to do so.

“The reason Student Congress funded us fully is because I had seven points I made for them,” Nguyen said. “I told them before you put stitches all over my funding, please understand we need this for our first publication.”

Congress’s recent decision to allocate about $5,000 to the magazine was also met with criticism from the College Republicans because the conservative group received approximately $2,000 less than Siren.

But Nguyen said the magazine’s goals supersede political conflict.

“It’s important to feature women’s work so that we can empower women on campus,” Nguyen said. “I don’t think it’s a liberal’s job or a conservative’s job — I think it’s everyone’s job.”

Nguyen also said the magazine would cover Title IX compliance issues on campus.

“Title IX has expanded, and the University is doing its best to meet Title IX compliance standards, meaning no gender discrimination,” Nguyen said.

“This magazine will help with these efforts.”

UNC law student Corey Frost said feminist perspectives are marginalized, and without a feminist publication, certain issues could be ignored.

“Every feminist group should be concerned about class inequality, racism and poverty,” he said. “Unless you’re talking about men’s violence against women, I don’t think people consider these issues.”

Frost is a former member of Feminist Students United, an activist club at UNC.

Nguyen said the money Siren will receive from Student Congress will be used in the publishing process.

He said the staff plans to publish its first issue in late November and will feature a 32-page spread, including work from graduates, undergraduates and international students.

The second issue will be published in the spring, Nguyen said.

Siren accepts work from both staff and non-staff members and features a range of mediums — artwork, poetry, stories and personal reflections, Nguyen said.

“We just try to feature work that speaks to people on campus.”