Following the success and popularity of the recently added education minor, the University should consider creating minors in other prominent subjects such as economics, political science and psychology.

More than 100 students are currently enrolled in the education minor, which was created just two years ago. These numbers reflect that many students are eager to understand education policy, even if they are not interested in teaching.

This same eagerness can be expected from a biology major who yearns to understand the psychological basis of how the body works or a global studies major who wants to better comprehend the complex political processes behind the country’s foreign policy.

Offering a minor in these subjects would allow these students to better specialize their interests and graduate more prepared to enter into a fulfilling career.

Some faculty argue that offering a minor in a subject such as political science would result in fewer double majors and allow students to take the easy way out by pursuing the minor instead. This suggests the lack of a minor may be forcing students to pursue double majors.

Students wishing to pursue a double major won’t be deterred from their path if a minor is offered. Rather, the minor will allow students with less interest or time to gain an understanding of the subject.

Some faculty members in the department of psychology are in the process of adding a neuroscience minor in addition to the cognitive science minor already offered.

While this is a step in the right direction, a more general psychology minor would appeal to more students and give them a fresh perspective to the understanding of their major.

Offering more minors in all departments would give students more leeway in crafting their education to best suit their career interests.