Andrew Davidson: Candidate for CHCCS Board of Education

Davidson is a newcomer

davidson

With one week until Election Day, The Daily Tar Heel spoke with the Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools Board of Education candidates to discuss major issues facing the board. Election day is Nov. 5.

Candidate name: Andrew Davidson

Age: 39

Daily Tar Heel: What are the biggest issues facing the school system?

Davidson: I believe its consensus among the four board members that it’s two sides of the same issue. How do we as a board address the achievement gap, while at the same time responsibly face the predicted budget short fall.

DTH: You were part of the enormous team that successfully turned Franklin Porter Graham Elementary into a magnet school. All over America, education experts have started to worry that many people have lied to gain admission to the superior educational experience magnet schools provides. Does FPG have a contingency plan for this behavior?

Davidson: I don’t think so. You might be comparing apples to oranges when it comes to people lying regarding eligibility. The magnet school is only available in our district. A traditional magnet school often draws form a larger pool, so we’re not concerned about that.

DTH: Why are you the best candidate for the job?

Davidson: I don’t think I am the best candidate for the job. I think Michelle Brownstein is the best candidate for the job. I’m fortunate to be running in a race where it’s four candidates for three seats. If it were just me versus Michelle Brownstein I would be completely outclassed.

But I think I’m the next best candidate No. 1 because I’m experienced. I’ve worked in this district’s school politics system for the last three years. I served on my school’s improvement team for three years as well as the chair for a year.

I’ve also served for the past year on the technology advisory committee. I think I’ve got the right focus and the right priorities. I think it’s important for us to be a school that’s not just for our wealthier students, which we do a very good job of, but also a kind of district that educates our economically disadvantaged students, which we don’t do as well at frankly.