ASU resolution allows for attendance flexibility on election days

The Appalachian State University faculty senate passed a resolution last week to encourage faculty to be flexible with class attendance on election days — an option UNC may consider for the 2014 elections.

ASU’s on-campus voting site was moved in September from the student union to an on-campus nightclub, a location some have argued is less convenient to students and faculty.

Andy Koch, faculty senate chairman,said the resolution has the power to increase student voter turnout at not only ASU, but also at other North Carolina schools.

“There is a general understanding that the legislature has made it more difficult for people, especially students to vote,” Koch said. “We wanted to make a statement to everyone (with this resolution) that giving students the opportunity to vote is of the utmost importance to a democracy.”

UNC’s on-campus voting site has been at Rams Head Dining Hall since spring 2012 — but the Orange County Board of Elections is looking for a new on-campus voting site after its curbside voting system was deemed inadequate by board members.

Jan Boxill, chairwoman of UNC’s faculty, said she is interested in how the passing of this resolution at ASU could potentially affect UNC, especially if there is no longer an early voting site on UNC’s campus.

“We still have an on-campus voting site now,” Boxill said. “But, I think if the (on-campus) polling place was taken away, we might consider a similar resolution to the one Appalachian adopted.”

Boxill said there is a need to reform voting day procedures so everyone at a university, both students and faculty, has the opportunity to vote.

“We are undermining the very thing we want students to do, which is participate in the political and electoral process,” Boxill said. “Given the situation, the interesting thing is it used to be that schools were all closed for a half a day on election day. It wouldn’t be unprecedented now.”

Robert Nunnery, president of the Association of Student Governments, said he supports the resolution ASU has passed and hopes to build off of that work to benefit other North Carolina schools as well.

ASG has introduced two resolutions to combat the closing of on-campus polling places and increase student voter turnout for future election days on Friday. One encourages UNC-system schools to cancel classes from noon to 2 p.m., while the other calls for them to cancel all classes on future election days.

“We will continually support any and all efforts that help and encourage students to take an active part in voting and making their voices heard,” Nunnery said.

Christy Lambden, UNC student body president, said he supports any measure that makes it easier for students to vote on Election Day.

“Given the transition in voting rights in the state and change in voting location, it seems like a good measure to try and increase voting participation in the student population,” Lambden said.

Matt Hughes, chairman of the Orange County Democratic Party, said students should realize voting in all elections, including municipal ones, is one of their most important rights.

“Why not be active in your local government?” Hughes said. “To increase student voter turnout you have to go where the votes are and not the other way around.

“Make it convenient and easy for students to vote.”