Make-up for fraudulent classes draws very small response

Former UNC students have a chance to make up classes that were deemed fraudulent as part of the University’s athletic and academic scandal — but only one person has taken that opportunity so far.

UNC decided to offer the free courses to complete the degrees of 46 students after facing an audit from its accrediting body, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges, last summer. Those students, who either transferred or took time off, are at risk of not graduating unless they take their remaining courses.

Thirty-nine course sections in the former Department of African and Afro-American Studies (now the Department of African, African-American and Diaspora Studies) from 1997 to 2009 were identified as fraudulent and classified as Type 1, meaning the instructor did not regularly hold class, according to a report by former N.C. Gov. Jim Martin.

Rather than sanction UNC, the agency opted to monitor it for one year as it moves forward with proposals it submitted to the agency — including offering optional courses to alumni and mandatory courses to students currently seeking a degree who received credit for fraudulent courses.

Academic Advising Associate Dean Lee May said some courses were taught properly during some semesters, but not others.

Students currently pursuing a degree have three options to make up the classes: they can provide prior coursework for evaluation, take a “challenge exam” or take a free course.

Options are open as long as students continue their education, said Dee Reid, director of communications for the College of Arts and Sciences.

Reid said letters were sent to affected students, advising them to contact May for help with completing the graduating requirements.

May said many students have contacted her about the classes, but some cannot re-take them immediately because of other commitments.

She said she lets the students know they have plenty of time to redeem their credit hours.

“When you’re ready to come back, we encourage you to complete your degree and we’ll be here to support you in it,” May said.

UNC will cover the cost of the supplemental classes with private money. May said the cost will depend on how many students enroll, if they are in-state or out-of-state and whether they take online or on-campus courses.

The University was not sanctioned, but it does have to submit a follow-up to the agency in June, detailing its progress with the academic procedures in the department.

“I imagine they’ll just want to know what progress we’ve made about this issue,” May said.

May said the University is working to do right by its students.

“(The students) have been thankful that we’ve reached out to them and that we’ve told them it’s important to us, if it’s important to them, that they graduate,” May said. “And we’ll help.”