Insomnia Cookies coming to Franklin Street

Warm cookies and milk, ice cream, brownies and cookie cake will soon serve students’ sleepless nights when Insomnia Cookies opens on Franklin Street in less than a month.

The new cookie delivery business will move into Clothes Hound’s old location at 145 E. Franklin St.

Founded by a student at the University of Pennsylvania in 2003, Insomnia Cookies — which delivers its desserts until 3 a.m. — now has more than national 30 locations, primarily in college towns. Construction has already begun for the Chapel Hill store.

“We open about two locations a month and have no plans of slowing down,” said Renee Sarnecky, a marketing manager at Insomnia Cookies. “After recent success with our (University of South Carolina) and (University of Georgia) campuses, Chapel Hill was a logical move for us.”

Ronnie Edwards, the general contractor for the building project, said construction is set to end Nov. 1, and the store will open Nov. 4.

Insomnia will operate next to BSki’s and a few stores down from Pita Pit, which also offer late-night cookie delivery service.

“To be honest, I don’t think that a place like ours, which is predominantly a meal and pita place, or any of the other places such as Jimmy John’s, are really going to be affected that much,” said Josh Sanders, owner of Pita Pit. “I don’t think people are going to be deciding, ‘Do I want a pita Philly steak or do I want a chocolate chip cookie?’ I think generally you just have your craving.”

Insomnia offers catering for large groups as well as gift boxes to accompany its regular menu, which includes 12 cookie varieties with optional toppings, ice-cream-and-cookie sandwiches, brownies a la mode, cookie cakes and milk.

Sarnecky said campus outreach for the business will be a priority.

“We will have marketing reps all over campus once we open,” Sarnecky said. “We will be distributing free cookies coupons and delivery deals to celebrate our opening.”

Though cookies and more are tempting to some students, others are skeptical about price.

“I think most Carolina students get their fill of cookies from the dining hall,” said sophomore Emily Milkes.

“It sounds pretty good,” said sophomore Justin Pack. “I feel like at night it’s just whatever you’re craving. Your inhibitions go out the window.”