'Creating' a literary magazine at UNC

Katherine Proctor, Reilly Finnegan, Peter Schultz, and Alex Karsten (left to right) are part of the online literary magazine Should Does. Proctor is the nonfiction editor, Finnegan the art director, Schultz the managing editor and Karsten is the editor in chief.

When it comes to writing, Carolina creates.

Carolina Creates is a relatively young incubator organization whose goal is to foster growth on campus through its five initiatives — online, global, music, writing and visual arts. With Carolina Creates’ resources and support, Should Does, an online literary arts magazine, has had the opportunity to develop.

“Six of us had been writing a small-scale publication called The Salad Days, but we didn’t have the resources or ambition,” said Alex Karsten, co-founder and editor-in-chief of Should Does and director of Carolina Creates Writers.

“That’s a big place where Carolina Creates got involved. We then started working on this larger, more ambitious project and really realized our artistic vision.”

Funded by several administrative sources — including Innovate@Carolina and UNC Student Affairs — as well as its anonymously donated endowment, Carolina Creates gives its initiatives financial help and support without taking away any creative control.

Carly Uhlman, the arts and humanities champion at Carolina Creates, said the organization sees itself as an incubator of creativity.

“We work with you to finance your ideas and connect you to resources,” she said. “Carolina Creates laid the groundwork and gave (Should Does) space, but they really spearheaded the project.”

Uhlman said the group considers Should Does one of its two short-term success stories — the other being TEDxUNC through its global initiative. Should Does, on the other hand, sees Carolina Creates as its biggest support system.

“A big part in their role was looking at what we were doing and saying, ‘We believe in you,’” Karsten said.

“Expressing confidence and backing that up with resources — money, tickets, a better website, connections to different parts of administration and faculty that we never would have thought to contact — we’ve never once had them exercise any editorial doubt.”

Uhlman said Should Does became a more autonomous organization within Carolina Creates over time. Because of this creative independence, the literary magazine has been able to branch out and test new ideas — since its creation, Should Does expanded past its online medium and now has a radio show on Chapel Hill’s WXYC every other Wednesday.

“Should Does Radio’s goal is to pursue some forms of art that can’t be displayed purely in a textual or visual form,” said Peter Schultz, co-founder and managing editor of Should Does.

Karsten said the group wasn’t willing to reveal the origin of Should Does’ namesake.

Nevertheless, as Should Does has grown as an organization, individual members said they too grew from the experience.

“We’re really hoping to give writers and artists a chance to do things they wouldn’t normally do by themselves,” Karsten said.

“We want Should Does to be a place where writers get feedback and are growing and getting new opportunities. We’re all young, but we all take ourselves seriously — we’re not the best that there is, but our stuff is worth publishing.”

Mostly, Should Does members are thankful for the support Carolina Creates has given them as they continue to develop into a completely independent organization.

“My hat’s off to them,” Schultz said.

“We couldn’t be where we are right now if it wasn’t for Carolina Creates.”