Veterans hand out Buddy Poppies on Franklin Street

Brigadier General John Hort addressed UNC faculty, staff, students and alumni at the 2013 Veterans Day ceremony Monday.

Elmer G. Hughes spent his Monday on Franklin Street, passing out red plastic flowers — called Buddy Poppies — to honor military veterans.

Members of the Chapel Hill Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 9100 have made it a mission to provide support for retired service members.

As a retired member of the United States Air Force and a 1958 graduate of UNC, Hughes’ goal was to inform Franklin Street passersby of the importance of Veterans Day.

“We would like to let all of the folks around here know about the poppy and what it means,” he said. “It represents all the people who served in the U.S. armed forces, in any war, at any time.”

Veterans Marv McWherter, Lee Heavlin and Ed Gill also endured the chill of the evening in order to fundraise and commemorate the service of veterans — both fallen and living. The military service of the three varies from years served in the U.S. Navy, Air Force and Army, as well as participation in the wars in Vietnam and Korea and World War II.

As an organization of volunteers, the VFW uses donations and fundraisers in order to send money to veterans in need of medical, physical and mental support. The current fundraiser includes raffling off two sets of home game season tickets to UNC men’s basketball fans.

The VFW Post 9100 doesn’t just focus its support on retired service members. It also donates to organizations that serve active duty members, such as the United Service Organizations and the Army Fisher House at Fort Bragg.

McWherter and Gill passed out the Buddy Poppies while Heavlin, a sailor of the U.S. Navy for 30 years and former administrative officer of the UNC Navy ROTC, told the story of the poppy’s significance to those willing to listen.

“The poppies are assembled by disabled veterans in veterans hospitals,” McWherter said.

“We buy them from the state, and then we use the proceeds from what we get from the Buddy Poppies to assist local veterans that may need help with all sorts of things.”

UNC junior Jenny Ryanwas walking down Franklin Street when she was met with smiling faces and a handful of poppies at the Peace and Justice Plaza.

“In remembering what today is, I think it’s important to thank them and show our support because of what they’ve done,” she said.

Her younger brother has always dreamed of joining the Army, but he is unable due to a birth defect.

“He’s infatuated with visiting the naval bases back home and watching the airplanes. I think it’s great that this has such an effect on someone so young and that he would actually want to serve, not just enlist because he would have to.”