ASG passed four resolutions, moves forward in reform discussions

GREENSBORO — The past few months for the UNC-system Association of Student Governments have been rocky — an October meeting ended with a single proposed and failed resolution, UNC-CH students almost voted to leave the organization and the association canceled its December reform meeting.

But this weekend, members of the association finally sat down and passed four resolutions.

ASG, composed of student delegates from all 17 UNC-system schools and funded by an annual $1 student fee, meets monthly to discuss student advocacy initiatives. It met this weekend at UNC-Greensboro and N.C. Agricultural & Technical State University.

Friday’s meeting focused on plans to alter ASG’s structure, including proposals to combine committees, limit the number of delegates at meetings to two and separate elections of the senior vice president and president and limit stipends to four positions.

Although these reforms were not finalized, N.C. State University Student Body President Alex Parker made a Google Drive document to continue discussion among leaders to assure that final reforms can be established next month.

Out of seven proposals introduced , three were tabled, including a resolution to add an A-plus to the systemwide grading scale, and the rest were passed.

The association passed resolutions in support for on-campus fee increases at certain schools and the establishment of in-state tuition rates for military students. Members also drafted a plan for financial literacy lectures for students.

Connor Brady, speaker of UNC-CH Student Congress, gave the only dissenting vote on fee increases.

The financial literacy courses for students will be established using discretionary money from the $1 student fee — each system school will receive $1,000.

“This is a way that ASG can have a tangible effect on students,” said Rusty Mau, delegate from NCSU.

Dylan Russell, student body president at Appalachian State University, initiated conversation on solutions to upcoming voter ID restrictions, which will bar university IDs from the polls — suggesting the adoption of a UNC-system ID card.

He said one of the concerns that led to the state law is that university IDs are too easily duplicated.

UNC-Asheville Student Body President Leigh Whittaker suggested a systemwide seal on student ID cards.

The discussion ended with a promise to continue debate during the next meeting, potentially bringing the resolution directly to the UNC-system Board of Governors.

Another tabled resolution — to raise awareness of the use of conflict minerals from the Congo in technology — was proposed by Zach Ferguson, a UNC-CH Student Congress representative and the first ever non-ASG delegate to introduce a proposal.

For many students, the meeting was a step in the right direction.

“We’re moving forward because we’re not behind emails and articles anymore, we’re back in person again,” said Jalynn Jones, student body president at Fayetteville State University. “Each meeting is getting better and better.”