Letter: ?Greek life is misunderstood

Many students across the country, as well as at UNC-Chapel Hill, believe fraternities and sororities have no inherent value other than partying. 

However, this is absolutely not the case. 

The Greek community helps instill proper values into young men and women, gives students opportunities to be a part of an organized association and raises a significant amount of money for various charities and funds. 

I have personally developed extremely close relationships with the members of my own fraternity and am very proud to call them my brothers.

I have also had the opportunity to be a member of the executive board in my chapter here at UNC. 

For those that do not know, an executive board consists of a small percentage of a fraternity or sorority and is comprised of a president, vice president, treasurer, secretary, house manager (if the fraternity or sorority has a house), and any other positions that seem necessary to successfully run a Greek organization. 

I currently hold the position of treasurer in the UNC chapter of Alpha Epsilon Pi.

A significant amount of planning goes into each semester before the members can enjoy the benefits of Greek life. 

I have learned so much by holding this position and plan to use the skills I have gained as treasurer later in life. 

To sum it up, Greek life is anything but a waste of time and has a lot more to offer than non-Greek students know.

Bradley Kass ’17

Business