Opinion: Winston Crisp's email was not sent to enough people

F ree speech can sometimes stir up controversy, as the recent anti-abortion exhibit in front of Wilson Library by the Center for Bio-Ethical Reform demonstrated . It is important that the UNC administration properly inform the campus of an exhibit with the potential to deeply disturb viewers. While the decision to alert campus to this week’s demonstration was justified, the administration should follow a protocol to ensure that when UNC is alerted, it is warranted.

Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs Winston Crisp did the right thing when he sent out an email stating there was a display that could upset many and that counseling services were available. The images were unquestionably graphic and could have had mental health ramifications for viewers with special sensitivity to the subject matter .

The only problem with the email was that only a part of campus received it. While this is unfortunate, it appears UNC’s administration had the best of intentions, though it should endeavor in the future to make sure everyone is properly notified.

However, it is important that UNC’s administration be mindful of when it is appropriate to inform the UNC community of a demonstration or protest. While a warning was reasonable in this case, a line must be drawn so that it does not become administration’s go-to response to controversial demonstrations.

Protests serve as a basis for discussion and healthy debate on campus. As in this situation, campus should only be notified when the administration believes it could cause mental anguish to the UNC community — not just when many people on campus will disagree with it.