Letter: ?Prisoners’ children deserve support

It’s about to be Father’s Day. Children will proudly present homemade cards with a hug and an “I love you, Dad!” We will smile at the havoc in the kitchen after the kids lovingly make breakfast for daddy. Similar scenes played out last month as families celebrated Mother’s Day.

But what are these special days like for children dealing with parental incarceration? It is estimated that there are 2.7 million children nationwide with a mom or dad in prison, and 24,000 in North Carolina.

Our Children’s Place is a non-profit agency dedicated to supporting these children by raising awareness about their numbers and needs, and by working with diverse partners to ensure they receive beneficial services. It is our belief that with community support, these children can remain connected with their parents when appropriate and grow to lead productive lives. We are also hopeful that community efforts can help to reduce the risk that these children become involved in the criminal justice system and reduce recidivism for their parents.

As you celebrate Sunday, think about the children facing so many special days apart from their parents and consider joining us in support of these families. To find out what you can do, go to www.ourchildrensplace.com.

Shirley Drechsel

Board member

Our Children’s Place