Revamped FallFest set to debut Sunday

UPDATE: Joe Singer, senior associate director of the Carolina Union, estimated FallFest raised $52,500 from sponsors. He said the estimated total cost of FallFest was $61,982, and the Union sets aside money to cover any extra cost that isn't met by the sponsors.

The Carolina Union Activities Board is upping the stakes for FallFest this year — for students attending and those manning a booth.

Jasmine Howard, marketing and project coordinator for the Carolina Union, said some of the logistical changes include more accountability for student organizations and the use of an event map.

She said each student table will have to be manned until 1 a.m. unlike previous years when tables would leave earlier in the evening.

“All student organizations will be on Hooker Fields and the School of Government,” Howard said. “We’ll also have one stage for performances which will help with foot traffic. We really want to improve the experience for everyone and make the event flow better.”

The more exciting changes in store for FallFest are bigger giveaways throughout the night, incorporating the use of OneCards into raffles and giveaways, she said.

Howard said they are giving away a $200 Student Stores gift card at 10:30 p.m., a lunch with Chancellor Carol Folt and two friends at 11:15 p.m., CUAB Homecoming VIP Experience at midnight and at 1 a.m. Beats Solo2 Headphones, iPad Mini and case.

She also said the Homecoming concert will be announced by CUAB at midnight along side the giveaway.

Gabe Chess, CUAB president, said they want to focus more on getting out and reaching students. CUAB will also have a free popsicle cart for students that Chess himself will be hauling around FallFest.

“I’m really excited about the pushing the popsicle cart because I’ve always wanted to drive an ice cream truck,” Chess said.

He said CUAB wants to bring more excitement to Homecoming week with the announcement of the concert and through various Homecoming prizes.

“Across the board, it is going to be a great experience,” Chess said.

Kate Kryder, assistant director of Carolina Leadership Development said planning for this year’s FallFest started early in Spring 2014.

“This year the changes were made to continue to enhance the student experience and were implemented by the entire Union staff,” she said in an email.

Kryder said in the event of rain, FallFest will be cancelled but a student involvement fair will be offered in the upcoming weeks. There is a 20 percent chance of rain according to the National Weather Service.

Freshman Jessamine Gaul is excited about attending FallFest this year. She hopes she can learn more about student life at UNC and is interested to find out who will be performing at Homecoming.

“I don’t really know (who I want to perform) but I hope it is somebody good,” Gaul said.

Junior Emily Olinger said she is going to FallFest early and was unaware that the Homecoming performer was going to be announced at midnight.

“Honestly, anybody who shows up is good,” Olinger said. “If I’m not paying for it, it’s awesome.”