Gloriana and Earl Sweatshirt to perform back-to-back homecoming concerts

American country group Gloriana and hip-hop performer Ea rl Sweatshirt will fill Memorial Hall in back-to-back performances on Nov. 11 and 12 , respectively.

Nashville-based Gloriana has released several hit singles and has won both American Music Awards and Country Music Awards.

Earl Sweatshirt has also made a name for himself in recent years as one of hip-hop’s most critically acclaimed artists. After beginning his career as a member of hip-hop group Odd Future, Sweatshirt broke out as a solo artist, making appearances at well-known music festivals such as Pitchfork, Coachella and Governors Ball.

The two performances will take place in the week before the homecoming football game against the University of Pittsburgh on Nov. 15.

CUAB president and UNC senior Gabe Chess said the student-run board decided on two separate performances this year to appeal to a variety of students and to make the weekend more accessible to alumni and families.

“Our doing a back-to-back event will hopefully create all of this energy on campus,” Chess said.

CUAB board member Ever Castro said, in past years, students have urged CUAB to display more musical variety. By choosing artists from both hip-hop and country genres, CUAB hopes it will broaden its audience.

“I’ve had friends ask me when a country act would be coming, so we wanted to entertain those students and make sure they knew that we had heard them,” Castro said.

Kate Kryder, Carolina Leadership Development assistant director, advised CUAB’s student board in the spring.

“The homecoming weekend is a way to celebrate past, present and future Tar Heels,” Kryder said. “This is just another great tradition we have to celebrate that legacy.”