Monday, March 18, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Letter: ?No excuse for Rep. Pittenger’s comments

There really is no excuse for Rep. Robert Pittenger’s comment or logic in terms of equal rights and fair treatment to members of the LGBT community in the workplace.

I remind everyone that it was not too long ago that the same conservative voices that spout off hateful and discriminatory beliefs about the LGBT community did the same thing to those of color, and some still do. Our American society is supposed to be one that is the shining example of just and fair laws that provide everyone equal treatment, and that would include the workplace.

If you leave the decision to states, as you see now, some states will decide to continue to allow discriminatory practices, as they do now. Also, religion should not give anyone any excuse to treat someone as less of a citizen, ever, which is the usual excuse heard for the treatment of LGBT members.

This same logic was used by many Southern religious leaders to excuse their awful treatment of Afro-Americans and Native Americans. History has shown us that at times, the federal government must and has to step in to do the right thing and say, “No, this is not allowed,” as they did with the Civil Rights Act and the Emancipation Proclamation.

Otherwise, narrow-minded leaders and people who feel the same way will continue to treat those who are different as inferior.

Kathy Morgan

The Friday Center

Continuing Ed Office