Opinion: Administrators should focus on personal education

W ebsites don’t go far enough to educate students about important issues facing the University.

In the last month, administrators have unveiled two websites in response to scandals facing the University. The Carolina Commitment website explains UNC’s ongoing response to address improprieties among athletes in certain academic departments. The Sexual Assault and Discrimination website details the University’s revised policy for how it will handle sexual assault cases on campus.

While these are great reference tools for students, they aren’t sufficient to communicate the intricacies of the University’s efforts to resolve long-standing problems with sexual assault on campus and the intersection of athletics and academics.

Administrators should offer regular forums where students can ask questions and experts can respond in real time.

The effectiveness of this type of forum was evident when Student Body President Andrew Powell teamed up with Chancellor Folt in August to hold a question-and-answer session in the Campus Y about need-based aid.

Dozens of students came to the event and likely left feeling reassured that their University was committed to keeping tuition affordable for all students.

The University should regularly employ this model of education rather than rely on students to go to websites to learn more about the pressing issues facing campus.