Opinion: Housing efforts were stymied by the state

T he state government bureaucracy needs to be held accountable for problems in addressing Chapel Hill’s affordable housing gap.

This summer, an application to the state’s Housing Finance Agency for tax credits to fund new affordable housing projects on Legion Road was thrown out for failing to include a letter of commitment.

State agencies should recognize good-faith efforts to help town residents become homeowners.

Downtown Housing Improvement Co., the town’s partner in this endeavor, has promised to resubmit the application in January 2015.

But the rejection only compounds the problem that low-income families and homeless residents of Chapel Hill already face in the immediate present: a lack of sufficient affordable housing. Several area complexes recently stopped accepting Section 8 vouchers, causing as many as 60 families to lose their homes.

The town of Chapel Hill has tried to find a way to strike a balance between high demand and the needs of all of its residents, regardless of their economic status. Eight-and-a-half acres of land in the Ephesus-Fordham area have already been set aside for affordable housing units, which is a good first step. The town could soften future regulatory missteps by setting aside tax funds for the creation of affordable housing communities.

The problem of providing cost-effective and available housing to all will always be a concern in Chapel Hill. Through increased vigilance and state cooperation, the town can mitigate citizens’ concerns and create a more secure housing environment for all.