Opinion: Chapel Hill isn’t walkable until sidewalks are safer

A t 3:37 a.m. Monday, 23-year-old Joseph Russo was struck by a vehicle near U.S. 15-501 and East Lakeview Drive. The vehicle fled the scene, and Russo remains in critical but stable condition at Duke University Hospital.

Russo joins the 2,400 residents who are struck by vehicles in the state each year, according to the statewide pedestrian and bicycle safety campaign Watch for Me N.C.

While the town’s recent progress with respect to bike lanes should not go unnoticed, the intersection of East Lakeview Drive and U.S. 15-501 has no sidewalks. In a town that promotes walkability, Chapel Hill should do everything it can to make its roads safe for those who choose not to travel by car.

Specifically, the town should construct pedestrian guardrails on particularly narrow parts of sidewalks throughout town. For instance, the slender sidewalk on Franklin Street just west of Estes Drive — right across the street from Sunrise Biscuit Kitchen — is a favorite spot for runners and a perfect spot for the town to install a safety rail. Such a rail would protect pedestrians and provide ample room for cyclists not willing to brave the hill on the road.

For optimal safety, the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Highway Administration recommends sidewalks be at least five feet in width. To keep costs low for this project, the administration also recommends that towns combine smaller sidewalk projects into one larger one. Therefore, the town should identify the locations where the sidewalks are narrow and located near higher-speed roads.

Some cities designate a separate lane for cyclists and pedestrians, while others cap speed limits because data shows that pedestrians and cyclists hit at just 40 miles per hour have an 85 percent chance of dying.

As in many other car-dependent states, the vast majority of the N.C. Department of Transportation’s budget is focused on car-centric investment. A study conducted by the Washington State Transportation Center found that tax dollars would be best spent identifying which streets need the most attention.

The towns of Chapel Hill and Carrboro should create a similar index to identifiy where these streets are and allocate resources accordingly. The stretch of South Greensboro Street leading into downtown Carrboro immediately comes to mind.

North Carolina is already one of the least safe states in the United States for walking and cycling. As North Carolina’s urban population continues to grow, cities and towns must find ways to safely manage their roads.