Letter: ?UNC should not employ C.D. Mock

Wrestling coach C.D. Mock’s statements on sexual assault are not only misogynistic, they are factually inaccurate. Coach Mock argues that in reports and adjudications of sexual violence, it is a “woman’s world.”

I and other survivors of sexual violence who have — unlike Coach Mock — experienced the trauma of being blamed for the actions of perpetrators and seeing ours and our friends’ assailants rape and abuse other students with impunity would like to remind the coach that UNC is an institution where a man can confess to rape more than once and still be found not responsible by the University.

UNC is a place where administrators tell survivors to move out of their dorms or take time off from school if they want to avoid their assailants. Our University is a place where a survivor who went to the hospital for a rape kit the morning after her assault is told by administrators that there is “no cause” to investigate her case. 

These injustices are not exceptional — they are illustrative of the way college sexual violence policies and procedures are biased incredibly toward perpetrators.

I urge Chancellor Folt to stand up for student survivors by terminating Coach Mock immediately. There should be zero tolerance for the hatred of survivors — or, in other words, rape apologism — at our University.

Landen Gambill

Senior

Women’s and gender studies